Monday, February 2, 2009

Are you warming your management seat?

While facilitating a recent workshop on Managers as Coaches I made a statement, where I suggested that those in front line management roles without ambition to be involved in executive management were simply warming a seat and preventing those with real ambition from gaining appropriate experience.

As I expected my comment generated a lot of discussion both during and following the workshop. Excellent, objective achieved. As Socrates has been quoted, I cannot teach you anything, I can only cause you to think. If, as a result of my workshops I cause people to think then I believe it is an outcome worth achieving.

Let's look at this in more depth. Over the next decade every current CEO or EO or Director, aged over 50 years, in both Australia and New Zealand will retire. These people form the bulk of leadership roles in the not for profit sector. I calculate this to represent a turnover of around 30,000 leaders.

Who will replace our current leadership group? Those warming a front line manager seat or those young, ambitious 30-somethings chomping at the bit? If you are currently in a front line management role or middle management role, do you have the ambition to lead an organisation? If not, someone younger, more energetic and more ambitious than you will do so. Maybe they will want you to remain warming your seat or maybe they will not. I will leave you to think about that!

Let The Journey Continue
John Coxon

John Coxon & Associates
Taking You from Frontline Manager to CEO
www.johncoxon.com.au
Email john@johncoxon.com.au
Skype: john_coxon
Blog: http://healthsector.blogspot.com
Blog: http://nfp-management.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johncoxon
Follow john_coxon on Twitter
Join John Coxon on Facebook

No comments: