Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How new managers gain respect

I came across this blog post on another website recently and felt it worthwhile copying both the original question and my response here for everyone to read.

Im 27 years old and got a job as a PM in a highly prestigious organization. Unfortunately, I look a bit young even for my age and every body else I am working with is at least 20 years my senior. the look on their faces when i step in the room says it all " would you like a barbie to play with,little girl?" How do i not let this get to me?

This was my response:

Your age is not the issue, nor is the lack of respect from others your issue it is their issue. Can I suggest you focus on the things you can control. You have control over your demeanour, how you behave, how you present information and how much knowledge you have. These are the things that will gain you respect - in particular how you relate to, interact with and build relationships with people.

I would like to suggest you try to identify at least one, influential old timer you can build a relationship with, develop a way to work together where you share your combined knowledge and he/she becomes a mentor. Others will see this and understand you are not coming across as a 'know all'. That you are open to learning from the experiences of others.

Let The Journey Continue
John Coxon

Taking You From Frontline Manager to CEO

Facebook: johncoxon1
Twitter: john_coxon
Email: john@johncoxon.com.au
Skype: john_coxon
LinkedIn: John Coxon, Australia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In addition to the statement, I believe that in a much simple way you can gain respect if your new in the job. Those who perform well is someone to look up to, also to be a good manager you must be a good example, coaching and mentoring your colleagues and those in a lower position in the way they would improve is like molding and nurturing a child, easy to follow. It might sound a little scratchy but these things really works and it is a proven method.