Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Are You Engaged In Your Workplace?

The Gallup Organisation created the following set of questions to determine the level of engagement of employees in their workplace. Through their survey they determined only 29% of people were engaged in their work. Authors Buckingham and Coffman, in their book First Break All The Rules discuss the significance of these questions.

Try answering the questions for yourself and then ask you own employees to answer them. What are the results for your organisation? View articles written by Renee Cormier on this issue.

1. Do I know what is expected of me at work?
2. Do I have the materials and equipment I need to do my work right?
3. At work, do I have the opportunity to do what I do best every day?
4. In the last seven days, have I received recognition or praise for doing good work?
5. Does my supervisor or someone at work seem to care about me as a person?
6. Is there someone at work who encourages my development?
7. At work, do my opinions seem to count?
8. Does the mission/purpose of my company make me feel my job is important?
9. Are my co-workers committed to doing quality work?
10. Do I have a best friend at work?
11. In the last six months, has someone talked to me about my progress?
12. This last year, have I had opportunities at work to learn and grow?

If you find either you or your employees providing negative answers to more than half of these questions then it is time to call contact John Coxon & Associates, to discuss strategies to help improve employee engagement and reduce the cost of staff turnover.

Let The Journey Continue

John Coxon
Taking You From Frontline Manager to CEO
Email john@johncoxon.com.au
Skype: john_coxon
Blog: http://healthsector.blogspot.com
Blog: http://nfp-management.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johncoxon
Follow john_coxon on Twitter
Join John Coxon on Facebook

No comments: