Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Using Social Media

We are new to this stuff. Well kinda new. And in speaking up we run the risk of 'having a little bit of knowledge and appearing dangerous' so please take our comments in context and treat them as part of our learning experience as much as yours.

This whole social media stuff can appear daunting and even somewhat irrelevant to anyone aged 50+. Believe me I've given myself a headache over the past few weeks as I've worked my way through it. You know I'm reasonably tech savvy, have been online since 1994, designed my first website in 1997, started blogging in 2005, used IRC to connect remote peoples back in 1998 and can recall ICQ - does anyone use that anymore? But this social media stuff is something different.

What is my take on it so far? It's not about me. It's about creating something called community. Oh that is so easy isn't it? We can all do that, we are all community builders, aren't we? Not!

What do I mean by community? I mean it is about people you may not know, may not even be aware off, likely cannot see, may never meet, from anywhere in the world. Why are these people important? Cause they communicate with each other. They share ideas and information. Now there is a new concept - sharing ideas! That will take the world by storm.

Increasingly people, in particular those aged under 35 use the online world to seek referrals, reassurance, familiarity etc. They are so familiar with locating information online it is the first place they turn to. Back in the good ol days when I was at primary school I used to see my Mum and all the other Mum's in our street standing outside one of our houses, sharing information - that is community.

What are the implications for ourselves, for those in the non profit sector? Don't even get me started, it will take more than this blog and I am not really qualified yet to answer that. Click on the link under 'Stuff worth viewing' to read Laura Papworths blog - it is humerous, it is enlightening, its in your face and yes to many of us old f*#ts, some of it will be confronting.

Does it work? Buggared if I know. Havent worked out how to measure it all yet.

Do I believe it is worth it? Yes, so far.

What do you need to help make it work? Panadol and lots of spare time, and we all have plenty of that - the time I mean, don't go near the Panadol!

Do you have to learn this stuff? Yes you do. Why? Because if you do not, others will, and they will establish how to benefit from it and you will be left wallowing in the dark ages.

Now here is a suggestion for you. You have been wondering how to engage those 20-somethings that want to work for you or volunteer for you. Gather them all in a room, give them broadband access and a couple of laptops, tell them what you want to achieve from this social media bandwagon, leave them ample food and water, lock the door and dont let them out till they have finished.

Let The Journey Continue
John Coxon
Taking You From Frontline Manager to CEO
www.johncoxon.com.au
Email john@johncoxon.com.au
Skype: john_coxon
Blog: http://healthsector.blogspot.com
Blog: http://nfp-management.blogspot.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johncoxon
Follow john_coxon on Twitter
Join John Coxon on Facebook

No comments: